Saturday, November 24, 2007

Welcome to Ask a Trucker

What this is is the life, daily work, travels and experiences of an "over-the-road" truck driver. I am your host, my name is Max Strum and I am the writer/driver. A little about me: I was a teacher for 8 years. I have a Master's degree and my final years of teaching before my resignation were in NYC, where I call home (when I'm not in my truck). I had always wanted to be a truck driver. I guess it is every little boy's dream. I always made travel a huge priority in my life and after graduating from college, I drove around the US with a friend for 3 months. After that I started my teaching career by joining the Peace Corps and living in Ukraine for 3 years and traveling, during that time, all over Europe and Russia etc. I lived in Ukraine from 1996 to 1999. This was an exciting time to be over there as it was only 5 years after the country and gained its independence and the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Anyway, in this blog, I will take you, the reader with me in my truck and I will also reveal how I came to be a truck driver. Remember, there are truck drivers and there are OTR drivers (over the road). I am of the latter category. The "cowboys" of the nations highways. I invite you to ask me any questions you may have about the subject and trade of OTR by emailing me maxstrum@yahoo.com and I promise I will address your questions. I will also update this blog with photos and other info from my travels.

5 comments:

Maureen McElheron said...

Hi Max,
What is your strategy for getting excersize on the road? Do you find truckers in general trying to live a healthy lifestyle by jogging when taking a break at truck stops ? Or is this not done a lot.

How do you feel about forming a group of truckers to
pressure diners/ truck stop cafes to offer more healthy food choices. Is this a problem?
I remember truck stops used to serve sub par food. Is this still the case? Or is this improving?


Great blog!

Maureen

Unknown said...

How's the ass action on the road?

-Nikki

Max Strum said...

Maureen, I eat very little because I don't burn many calories. I have a little granola in the morning then a dinner. I have a jump rope in the truck because it takes up no room and I need little room to do it. I have to be more consistant though. After driving/ working all day I find it hard sometimes to excercise. As far as it being done -- no drivers do anything. Truckers are probably the most unhealthy of any trade. No aerobic excercise, MOST smoke, MOST eat badly and too much and there are wildly obese people doing this work. The food at truck stops is not neccessarilly bad, it's just too abundant. I usually do not eat at the truck stops. As for your last question, truckers do not formany groups because they are never in one place for mor than 1 day. Keep the questions coming...Max

Max Strum said...

Married.

Maureen McElheron said...

MAX
Just finished reading your blog.
wonderful!
You're the next John McPHee!
tremendous scope and knowledge.
Keep it coming....

VERY INTERESTING STUFF!

Pop