Saturday, February 16, 2008

CB CULTURE AND LINGO

Hey all, how's it been going? The last few weeks have been AR and MS and AL. It occured to me that I use the CB each and every day and it serves as an invaluable tool for directions. I personally don't need it so much for police locations because my company truck is governed at 63 MPH. Since I almost never go to the same shippers or consignees more than once, it is immensely important to get the local info on how to get to these places without getting lost. I do not have a GPS because I navigate the old fashioned way with a map and addresses--GPS is not always reliable for commercial routes. I always get in the radio and ask how to get to, say, for example, the Georgia Pacific paper mill in Plattsburgh, NY (my last shipper this week). Even though I have directions written down, the local drivers will all immediately get on the radio and tell the fastest, safest way. In this entry I will explain some of the lingo drivers use on the radio--some of it going back more than 50 years. Also let it be knownthat some drivers "live" on the radio. Units are hugely modified to transmit and receive in up to a 20 mile radius, have many special effects, and can cost upwards of $1000. CB shops, located all over the country at every truck stop modify, sell, upgrade and deal in custom radios, antennaes, boosters, power units, clarifiers etc. My radio is the most basic available--a Cobra 29 with 2 aftermarket antennaes--totally stock, not even "peaked and tuned." It has about a 6 mile radius and works fine for me. I usually keep it on and listen to the convos and get involved only when I need some 'local" (directions).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lemme know if you wanna use my swrm to peak you box.