Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Random Factor

The places where I go are as random as it gets. They are based solely on where I am when the load comes, not where I'm going. In other words, If I'm in Newark, NJ, the next load will be the one closest to me, it doesn't matter where it is going as long as it doesn't interfere with my TAH, (time at home). The only weird thing about last time was that I was in St. Louis and I got a load to Norfolk, VA--a good load of 908 miles. Got to Norfolk and the load back was to St Louis! What next? Got to St. Louis and the next load was to Norfolk! Totally random. Different shippers and consignees both times. My week was nice in that I clocked almost 4,000 miles in 2 loads. Also, one interstate (I64) goes door to door literally--begins and ends in both cities. St. Louis is one of the many 2 state cities in the US--IL and MO (the IL is officially East St.Louis). The arch, which I have seen night and day always chokes me up. Norfolk is near Jamestown, VA; the first settlement of white people in USA (it was not Plymouth, MA). Norfolk and Chesapeake are extremely busy naval ports and freight ports. VA beach is an upscale community, where, ironically, the only truck stop in the area is located--Big Bob's Truck stop; an old, privately owned truck stop, the likes of which are disappearing quickly to Pilot, TA and Petro--big truck stop chains. The "mom & pop" stops are always interesting. Big Bob's was a crater laden field that held about 150 trucks and was right on the main drag in VA Beach, a landmark I'm sure the residents would rather do away with.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Me tinks St. Augustine, FL was settled first (Spain).